On the 11th of May every year national technology day is celebrated. This day reminds the citizens of India about the advancements in technology. Anyone who is a part of innovating, ideating, or promoting the dissemination of knowledge by profession celebrates this day ensuring that the benefit of this is reaching the ground level, so it is not only for scientists or engineers.
Those who have made any significant contribution to the field of technology are also get honored by the government. On 11th may 1999 the first technology day was celebrated. After those five nuclear tests that were carried out on 11th May 1998, it was declared National Technology day officially by the Late Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
The code name of the nuclear test was named as “Smiling Buddha”. After 24 years of the first nuclear test which was carried out in the year 1974 under the government of Late Prime minister Indira Gandhi, on 11th may 1998 the second nuclear test was carried out under the regime of Late Prime Minister Shri. Atal Bihari Vajpayee .
This was one of the greatest days for India in its history as India registered its name in setting off five nuclear devices at a test site which was located in Pokhran, Rajasthan. Firstly this nuclear test was named Shakti-98 which was later named Pokhran-1.
Pokhran II: Objectives
Rakesh Sood who was a former diplomat who was involved in the post-nuclear test diplomacy states that to achieve our goal successfully of Pokhran II – we had these three objectives :
1. To validate the new design for ensuring the credibility of the nuclear deterrent as the data which was set from 1974 was limited.
2. To declare that India was now a nuclear weapon state and modify the terms of our engagement with other states accordingly.
3. To generate an acceptance of India as a responsible state with an impeccable non-proliferation record.
4. There are many of mankind’s greatest achievements and technology is one of them all. Technology made our lives easier by saving our time, and power, and increasing productivity and efficiency in the workplace.
5. This technology is the only reason India as being one of the nuclear weapon states on the 11th of May,1998.
6. On this date, India conducted its three nuclear tests successfully at the Indian Army’s Pokhran test range under a secret operation named Operation Shakti. After it, two more nuclear tests at the same location of the Indian Army’s Pokhran test range which was conducted on May 13, under the leadership of Late President Dr. A.P.J ABDUL KALAM, which made India one of the official members of the elite club of nuclear power nations.
7. However, it was the not only achievement of India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation. On that same day, They Tested their first indigenous aircraft which is known as Hansa -3 and conducted a successful test firing of the Trishul missile.